A lot of thought was put into the book i wanted to read or rather spend time with in 2020. I consciously tried to keep intruding thoughts, books and people away in 2020 only to realize this is a great way to live not only in 2020 but always.
At the end of the list, I will tell you the ones i liked the best and why. PS I dont think i could put together a book review just yet, but i am working on developing that skill.
Here are the books i read in 2020
- The Alice Network – Kate Quinn
2. Where’d you go Bernadette – Maria Semple
3. The Song of Achilles- Madeline Miller
4. Nothing to See Here – Kevin Wilson
5. The Fellowship of the Ring – J R R tolkein
6. A Woman is no Man – Etaf Rum
7. Shantharam – Gregory David Roberts
8. The Grownup – Gillian flynn
9. Angels and Demons – Dan Brown
10. Americanah – Ngozi Chimamanda Adiche
11. Anxious people – Fredrik Backman
Out of the 11 books i completed reading in 2020 my favorite ones were A woman is no man and Anxious people.
I was deeply disturbed and moved by A Woman is no Man by Etaf Rum because it hits close to home. Patriarchy is still widely prevalent in my country, So is gender-based violence and suppression. To think that this is the reality of many women across the globe hurts my heart and it will hurt yours too. Etaf Rum has also narrated the story beautifully. Read a book summary or no spoiler book reviews to know what you are getting into. This book made me weep hard.
Talking about weeping hard, here’s another book that made me sob… but all for the good reasons. Anxious People by fredrik backman. There is a reason why Backman is one of my most favorite authors, he knows how to write a compelling story with its ups and downs and yet bring all of it together into a sunny conclusion that is sure to make you cry tears of joy. Read it. Read it. Read it.